Welcome to Bert Bat Con

To tell you the truth, this blog is about my meanderings in Miniature Wargaming. Enjoy.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Noisemaker 28 Terrain Segment





Here is picture one... The 2x2 ft. section was made by using white polystyrene... It works good... Take a long look at a creek somewhere in your area to understand exactly how things work... There will generally be a bank, with some areas more accessible than others. These accessible areas will be perfect fore fords.




Here is picture two. I have painted the fields using green acrylic paint.







Here is picture three. I have flocked the green fields using dark green flock from a model railroad terrain flock.







Here is picture four. I have painted the "deep" areas of the creek with a dark blue. This is best done away from those areas where sandbars will naturally be. Again, take a long hard look at a creek in your area to see how this works in real life.





Here is picture five. I have added some light green, and I have begun to mix it with the dark blue. The dark blue and the light green will generally mix well to make the medium depths. Don't worry too much about the deepest depths, there will be a remnant of dark blue in the middle, even if you have to paint over it. If you are not satisfied, just add more dark blue after this step.



Here is picture six. I have added some yellow to the sides and mixed it with the green and the dark blue. The yellow areas are the shallowest areas of the creek. You can see that this gives a really nice sandbar effect in the creek, while still giving the illusion that there is water, even in the yellowish green areas. I really like this method of making creeks.



Here is picture seven. I like to paint the banks of the creek in an earthy tone... Perhaps there is a better color. I have not found one... Take your cues from real life.






Here is picture eight. I have added dark green areas where there will be forests. I have chosen to make the forests removable for ease of putting men there.

No comments: