Welcome to Bert Bat Con

To tell you the truth, this blog is about my meanderings in Miniature Wargaming. Enjoy.

Friday, August 1, 2008

My Broadside...

OK, so Ryan asked the question about Euro games vs. War games. I don't want to break the "geek on geek" attack rule, and I don't want to "attack" the gamer from Denver. I will say that I will gladly play a Euro game when I don't have time to play something else, or when someone else is unwilling to learn a war game with me. However, I feel compelled to give all my reasons, my broadside as it were, for playing wargames over eurogames. Here goes.

1. Wargames allow better plot development. What could be more dramatic than war?
2. Wargames "game" historical human interaction (as opposed to non-historical interaction).
3. Wargames "game" (simulate is not always the best word) conflict.

4. Wargames make military history tangible.
5. Wargames combine the disciplines of geography, history, sociology, psychology, and sometimes economics.
6. Wargames are usually about real people in real life situations.

7. Wargames don't pretend an imaginary world where conflict doesn't take place.
8. It actually takes some time to play a wargame, and this is a good thing (see point A).
9. Wargames are just a lot more fun.

OK, so the last one is completely subjective. But I felt like I had to have nine reasons, because the USS Iowa has nine 18 inch guns. Such is life.

Point A: I think it is to a Euro game's credit that Euro games can be played rather quickly, at least usually. However, I tend to like longer games. I don't know, I guess I like the detail. When a game takes a long time to finish, I feel like I have accomplished something. When a game is over quickly, sometimes I feel cheated.

So, if you question any of my broadside points, or if you want to add a point, or if you want to give your broadside in favor of Euro games, then do it!

2 comments:

Ryan Oakes said...

Good points. I will say that I agree with you! But, it's just plain hard to get new people into wargames as compared to eurogame types.

Pastor Mueller said...

And that's a good question, Ryan.. Why is it harder to get people into playing wargames? My thought is that the main problems are theme and playtime. Many people are reticent to play a game that has to do with war. Perhaps they think it's morally reprehensible. You know my thoughts on the topic. Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it! There's only one way to make wargames shorter. Make them more simple. Therefore, wargamers need to : A. -- defend their hobby as a pursuit of military history, a laudible passtime (even less violent than football!). AND B. -- make up games with easier rules and quicker mechanics for the Euro game crowd.

There are some "hybrids" out there... I've heard that games like "1960 The Making of a President" and "Twighlight Struggle" are rather close to wargames, but not quite.

Personally, I think it has more to do with theme than anything else. Many Euros have mechanics that are hard to master and not so simple.