Welcome to Bert Bat Con

To tell you the truth, this blog is about my meanderings in Miniature Wargaming. Enjoy.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Return fire!


Return fire! Well...may not since I'll be talking about Euro-games which are very much non-war games. I wouldn't call them anti-war games but they generally do not have pieces being destroyed. Thank you to WargamerBert for his excellent article and I will try and respond for the Euro-games. First I want to note that I love both wargames and euro-games. After all I am the current reigning champion of Samurai Swords! Yes, WargamerBert was the reigning champion of 3 times until my sneaky ninjas came and have triumphed during the remaining three past games. But I digress. Since WargamerBert has listed his responses so shall I.

Image from Flickr: Gun by aterpeirun

1. Eurogames are quick to play. A typical game can last from 30 minutes to 1 hour. This makes it easier to play more games. Set up time takes usually only a few minutes.
2. Eurogames have easy rules (now I know that this does depend on the game but it is typically euro). This is nice because it allows an easy entry into gaming. Where many people may fear the massive set up/pieces/time and 30 page manual on how to play of wargames, they will find eurogames easy to approach. This can lead them into learning different gaming systems and then the approach to wargames will not be that difficult.
3. Eurogames do promote non-violence. Typically any pieces are not destroyed but 'pushed' or there are not destruction of pieces but gathering of resources.
4. Eurogames promote social interaction. Now all games have social interaction but eurogames promote it within the structure and rules of the game. Imagine Settlers of Catan without being able to talk to the person next to you and persuade them to trade your piece of wood for two ores!
5. Eurogames are typically inexpensive. While a typical wargame costs about $30-50; a eurogame typically costs $10-30.
6. Eurogames provide different systems of strategy. While a wargame will teach you tactics and military strategy; eurogames will teach you a variety of strategies with each game. This way you will learn the basics of strategy and this helps to increase your learning and your ability to play other games.

Well...I only have six compared to WargamerBert's nine points! But hope this brings some good discussion of wargames and eurogames. What do you like? Is there anything to add to eurogames?

6 comments:

Pastor Mueller said...

he he he ... a cute 6 shooter with a twisted and tied barrel. Just what a post about Euro-games needs... he he he... Thanks for making my chuckle. And next time we have more than 30 minutes to an hour to play, and more than 2 players, we've gotta bust out Samuri Swords so I can become the reigning champion again. Nuts, there goes that modesty thing again... Gotta work on that... he he he...

Ryan Oakes said...

We shall see! I thought you'd appreciate the picture. For me, I like eurogames because Colleen would rather play them than my huge wargames. But they are a nice entry into the gaming world. A way to work up to real wargames (not Risk). By the way we have to play Risk 2210 again. I MUST beat you at that game sometime in my life.
You know...I think I might make that my life's goal: Beat Bert ONCE in Risk 2210!

Rev. Gerald Heinecke said...

what are some good recomendation of euro games besides settlers of catan (which I own already)

Ryan Oakes said...

I would recommend: Game of Thrones (euro/war type game), Carcassonne, and Citadels. Both are quite excellent games but each are played very differently. Carcassonne is a tile-laying game and Citadels is a card game (NOT like any of those Collectible Card games).

Pastor Mueller said...

Leave it to the Euro Game post to get five comments... They're just very popular. And that's the case. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Euro games. I think they're FUN. If that's all we have time to play, I'll play them. But you know my preference... :)

Ryan Oakes said...

Yeah, they are fun. But there is truly nothing like playing Axis & Allies, especially when you sink a fleet or a carrier. It's just awesome.