Welcome to Bert Bat Con

To tell you the truth, this blog is about my meanderings in Miniature Wargaming. Enjoy.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Wargames or Eurogames?



This has always been a conflict of mine: war games or euro games? To clarify war game are board/miniature games that usually focus on attacking or gaining territories. These games are similar to Axis & Allies, Samurai Swords, Heroscape (although that's maybe a 3rd Category), and your typical Risk game. Euro games are not just games from europe. They are called Euro games because many of the games from Europe do not have 'war' or the pieces are not destroyed but 'pushed'. Some 'euro games' are also from America. These games are similar to Settlers of Catan, Carcassone, Citadels, Game of Thrones and Ticket to Ride.
The big question is which one is better? Which one has the highest level of strategy? Why do you prefer one over the other? I have a feeling what "WargamerBert" will say!
Images: Fase Preparatoria Dello Sbarco Alleato by Pigliapost
Includes Free River Expansion by Brett L.

1 comment:

Pastor Mueller said...

he he he... I could give you my whole broadside, but I won't... Simply my reason has to do with this... I love military history. Playing a game that ONLY makes me think logically is OK, but if you REALLY want to get me excited, it has to have something to do with military history.

That being said, I do like the "feel" of some of the Euro games. The artwork is generally well done. The gameplay is rather simple, which is appealing to me lately. Learning to play these games is easy. Yet mastering them takes time. I would rather be using my time to paint miniatures, however... :)

Feel free to let us all know what kinds of games you like to play... :)